View Single Post
Old January 25th, 2017, 10:44 AM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Dug-in Infantry, Artillery Bombardment, Kills and Casaulty Reports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeraaa View Post
I wasn't able to confirm this, but I have the perception that units that overcrowd a hex are more susceptible to artillery effects. With infantry this is a no brainer, but even with armor I witness far more damaged or KOed tanks when there are say 3 of them in a single hex.

Regarding dug-in units, calibers 122mm or greater are the ones more likely to produce casualties (although I do get some odd successes once in a while, f.e. a 25-pounder knocking out a dug-in Panther tank, or an 81mm mortar killing an infantryman). The others are good for morale purposes. Regardless of that, ALWAYS use artillery when assaulting dug-in units, it will make your life much easier (just careful when close to enemy positions and fire is unobserved, friendly fire sucks).
"...careful when close to enemy positions and fire is unobserved.."

Oh yes you will get burned if you by close 200m. I'd rather position my units further back say 450m with assault teams (MGs and snipers), units that can add suppression at range above an infantry rifle. If available, I'd put a couple of IFV to give me added suppression and ability to close with any routed units quickly from 500m back.

But what is most telling in the above quote that I selected is that you must have dedicated field artillery observer to make the call. I know they are expensive but get one over there at that point to call in your arty fires so as to mitigate loss due to friendly fire, especially if you have units as close as 200m, danger close.

=====