View Single Post
Old February 17th, 2018, 07:03 AM

Second Lieutenant

Aeraaa is on a distinguished road
Default About weakpoints

Well, I do know that when a tank is struck by an enemy shell, there's a chance that it will be hit on a weakpoint, in which case there will be some extra points of penetration, usually depending on the distance. What I usually see is that the extra points of penetration are around 1-4 points of extra penetration (or a bit more in extremely rare cases); this is good against early WW2 tanks, but its irrelevant against anything newer than that. So I am wondering if it would be better to make the extra penetration as a percentage of the armor hit? For example, let's assume that the penetration of a weakpoint is affected by the armor of the target. Let's say the target is an early model M1 (40 frontal armor) and that the usual (weakpoint) penetration percentage is 25% of its base frontal armor. That means that a weapon that hits the M1 frontally and manages to hit a weakpoint will usually do 10 more points of penetration to it. Of course, that means that the penetration of the weapon is also important, hence a BMP-2 will still find it near impossible to knock it out frontally (but it will mean that older tanks like T-55 or T-62 do have a fighting chance against an M1). So what are your opinion guys? Is it a better alternative to the current model, or not?