View Single Post
Old July 26th, 2019, 01:32 AM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,237 Times in 925 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: Jets & Planes but no UAV's here.

Like Taiwan, I find that Argentina and the ongoing Falklands situation being somewhat related to the "window of opportunity" available to them and the benefit to each by making or getting if you will, that one piece of equipment that might make the difference in their current situation. For Taiwan that'll be the ABRAMS deal going through. It will cause a "pause" in China's "Sabra Rattling" when it knows it'll face even without D/U armor, a tank that'll still be a match or better to their best tank.

Argentina on the other hand, has a slightly "stronger hand" with an opportunity to reclaim the Falklands IF, they can just get the right fighter in the short term. But time is running out, at best they have 2 years before the window is shut maybe permanently. They have the "harder road" but the best opportunity to accomplish their long stated objective to recall the Falklands.

Britain's main two issues are that it has no long range bombers (Not that the VULCANS were very successful in their missions in the last Falklands War, they weren't.) or fighters (And in hindsight probably wish they'd kept a squadron of HARRIERS/or TORNADOS in active service in the Falklands. They even today would be much better then what Argentina has now.), sufficient air refueling, no carriers, surface combatants and are having issues with their fast attack submarines. In two years Britain will have it's carrier and F-35B fighters, however, only a fool would send in a carrier without it's support ships hence the term "Carrier Battlegroup", the window could possibly be closer to 5 years.

I'll be interesting what China and Russia decide to do. They might just decide to "two fingers in the eye" of two other countries and I wonder who they might be!?! Ref. 2 is provided for context only as it is two years old now. Ref. 1 is current as of today, which is why I really like "DID", relevant stories continually kept up-to-date.
https://www.defenseindustrydaily.com...planes-022821/
https://medium.com/war-is-boring/arg...s-e91f35fbd1ab

This could be an interesting situation worth checking on once in awhile.

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..