Old February 9th, 2013, 04:58 PM

Captain

Cross is on a distinguished road
Default Re: winter movement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
I am already experimenting with a +2 for all vehicles in trees

Andy

At the moment trees are slower than fields but not as slow as rough. So we have a map feature with 'medium difficulty'...if you like.

Adding +2 to trees would make them similar to rough and they'd mostly be avoided by vehicles. We'd no longer have a common 'medium difficulty' map feature.

I see the current trees as sparse woods. Map makers can add rough to woods to make them vehicle unfriendly.

How about another trees type like 'dense trees'?
Or 'sparse trees', so we still have trees that can be navigated by vehicles.

Would the +2 also count for orchards?

Just some thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario_Fr View Post
Is it possible to change the movement cost for winter? Right now it doesn`t really slow down vehicles, my 4WD`s still move 8-10 hexes on clear terrain. But in Russia for example in winter movement almost came to a stand still except for all-tracked vehicles and fighting was for streets and villages.
So having to use streets for movement or to be stucked in the snow fields would add much more depth, I think.
Also trees in general. To my mind, vehicles can cross them quite fast, tanks can move 3-4 hexes in them, that`s as fast as infantry; 4WD can move 4-5 hexes.

I really like the current winter movement. I find movement really slows down, and roads become important. If movement was any slower battles would stagnate.

I agree with Imp that you should add loads of snow drifts if you want a heavy snow map where movement is even harder.

Don't forget that movement often got easier in many situations where the ground was frozen. The mud of a thaw often caused more problems than snow.

regards,
Cross