View Single Post
Old August 27th, 2005, 02:41 AM

Major

Marek_Tucan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Playtesting comments (third-party scenarios)

Hello!
Here's the AAR of Andy Gailey's mod.

The scen is quite interesting. I have to admit I have started it twice (for the first time I have overwritten the saved game accidentally).
The first time I tried to defend in the positions where my troops were at the beginning. The result was mixed - I have caused several casaulties to the North Koreans, but I've been pushed back ad some of troops which were deployed more forward didn't make the retreat. It was arond turn 8 when that accident happened to me(
The second time I have decided to make use of the terrain and I have retreated my troops quickly into the reverse slope positions just behind the ridge, where possible. On the right flank I have utilised smoke to reduce visibility to 1.
By turn 10 the situation became quite static, with intensive fighting along the ridgeline accompanied by massive losses on the AI side. On the right flank around the Observation Hill) the AI was able to advance along the road up to the village behind the Obong Ni ridge, but the village itself was reached by one squad of light infantry. Then the enemy got destroyed by artillery and three Pattons.
By turn 20 the enemy infantry along the ridge was almost completely massacred and I have counterattacked, regaining all lost VH's.
Results:
USA
Men: 92
Artillery: 0
Soft Vehicles: 0
AFV: 1

NK
Men: 734
Artillery: 1
Soft Vehicles: 3
AFV: 12

Bugs: None that I'd notice (except too effective enemy artillery, his troops hitting too often and not willing to get suppressed etc.;o))

Scenario notes: As I've said, entertaining, though the AI artillery superiority was quite depressing;o) I have managed to kill one 120mm mortar with an air strike, but I was surprised how well did the 82mm mortars do in face of two bombs and a napalm from Skyraiders)
The artillery was the main killer of AI, it caused most of my casaulties, his infantry played only a minor role, I'd say the most serious loss which was solely to infantry was my Patton lost during an unsuccessful counterattack that came too soon an which was lost to 82mm RR.
Definitely when comparing the original and the modified version of scen I'd say this one is better. More fun moving the units.

Btw I used my snipers to cover flanks and to fight enemy snipers, the idea to send them on rampage to enemy rear lines somehow escaped me