Thread: EA Caelum
View Single Post
Old March 22nd, 2008, 06:04 AM

First Lieutenant

Renojustin is on a distinguished road
Default Re: EA Caelum

I've been playing an EA Caelum SP game for a few days now, and I really enjoy them. I went up against only Saroumatia at the start of the game, 8 Impossible AI on random medium map. Here's some thoughts.

The problem with Eagle Kings being good thugs is that they have very high encumbrance with their Fire Plate. After they're done buffing themselves, their fatigue is really starting to get up there. You'd need either priests and an earth bless or a good magic item economy to counter that, so it seems that your best bet here is to leave the Kings as casters unless and until your opponents start using lightning counters.

Your PD is atrocious... you might not even bother past 10 points to try to catch scouts.

Archers are useful against chaff, but mammoths, Wrathful Skies, or Thunder Strike are just as useful, and can be used against high protection units as well.

I just... don't like Caelum's army very much at all. Mammoths are pretty nice for early expansion, and that's about it. I simply pick up more Iceclads every turn as archer bait for my Eagle Kings. Unfortunately, that means you limit yourself to strategic movement 2, hm.

Probably Tempest Warriors are the way to go, set to hold and attack archers, with limited amounts of Iceclads as the aforementioned arrow soakers.

Important: once you research Thunder Strike, there's pretty much no reason to keep your Eagle Kings around the nest anymore. SEND THEM OUT. You need very little magic research to be a very powerful magic nation with Thunder Strike spam. This is what will make EA Caelum an absolute terror from turn 10 onwards.