View Single Post
Old August 12th, 2010, 01:14 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road
Default Oh how I hate the Aleutians

Been here before & its always hard work, thought I would have a go with an infantry formation fool that I am & see how hard it is to stop the Jap infantry
So USA vs Japan went with
3 Infantry Co each with a platoon of Engineers attached.
Batalion Weapons Co consisting of
FOO
4 HMGs
4 37mm ATGs
3 81mm MTRSs
1 Jeep
12 Trucks.
Other units
3 Offmap 105s (12 tubes)
6 AA Guns/MGs & trucks
Expected this to be tricky Jap infantry are tenacious but boy did I get a surprise.
Things opened with 4 Jap planes sweeping in caused minimal damage & I got one but my trucks are vulnerable need to use with care.
Moving ATGs with wheeled vehicles in this terrain is not easy & now have to worry about planes targeting them.
Should have worried more we have spotted 5 tanks by the time the next airstrike comes in consisting of 6 planes, half my AA is gone & a few trucks perish. More worryingly everyones fast moving bet the AI got a nice snapshot so decide to mount a reverse slope defence where I expect the tanks to appear.
Thats not good the tanks are dragging there heels & I can now see several squads right behind them then 8 tanks crest the hill I can see the other 2 thats a full Company. Oh heck the one time I go full infantry the Japs decide to break out the armour. Some 105s rounds drop on them with no effect & the ATGs get 2 of them then it all goes a bit Pete Tong.
Jap arty opens up smoke takes 2 ATGs out of the game for the moment & drops a few bothersome rounds then the planes come back big style 11 I think ouch were they effective. I have 1 AA gun left its routed most of the trucks are burning 1 ATG is destroyed & 3 squads lost over 8 men a piece, ouch.
Worse those pilots were on the ball the tanks can see me, I am now well & trully pinned down & there infantry will appear next go the only good thing is there cant be that many.
Score one to the Jap Airforce I feel at least they should be out of bombs.