Thread: Close Assaults
View Single Post
Old March 4th, 2011, 04:03 PM

Captain

Cross is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Close Assaults

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeeg View Post
I like the idea! The only thing I can think of that might be tricky is a situation where for instance you have a russian squad in cover and a buttoned PzIV pulls up next to you...you decide to close assault it in the same hex, does the moderately suppressed PzIV get op-fire on you as I imagine you will be come visible to him soon as you enter his hex? I would think it would be more realistic for the squad to be able to move into the same hex and get a very high probability of remaining unseen till the first shot or at least getting the first shot on a buttoned up tank. I do not have a lot of WinSPWW2 under my belt yet, but in my experience entering the same hex as an enemy unit always makes you visible and usually ends in you getting op-fired at. I could be very wrong...its just been my limited experience.
I'm not suggesting any changes to the visibility/movement/op-fire routine, only the range of a 'close assault' from 1 to 0.

But to try to answer your question: I believe a moderately suppressed panzer has to pass some sort of experience check for it to be able to spot and op-fire at infantry that are moving into its hex or an adjacent hex.

The more suppressed the panzer, the less chance it will spot or op-fire. Which is why it's not a good idea for infantry to approach a tank unless it's reasonably buttoned up.

I think that's two seperate checks. So if your infantry are un-spotted, the panzer (and any other enemy units in LoS) will first have to pass an experience check to spot the infantry moving, but even if your infantry are spotted, the panzer wouldn't fire unless it passes the op-fire check. I think that's right, hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Cross