Thread: Scenario Vital Airfield
View Single Post
Old April 3rd, 2017, 03:01 PM

Captain

wulfir is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Vital Airfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhiir View Post
I didn't know the airfield was so marginal for modern aircraft ... that actually changes the entire thing! But I guess we'll just have to live with it.
Unless the Soviet objective is to use it as a helicopter base. Gotland does not have many large size ports - basically it's Visby and Slite - it could maybe be a creative way to overcome the supply problem..., which I assume the bulk of would have to come over the beach otherwise.

Visby airfield was used for military air, but from the Soviet perspective it's on the "wrong" side of the Island with the strongest concentration of Swedish units.

The Swedish defences on the southern part of the island were weaker but there were no larger size ports in this southern area, and in some areas difficult shallow waters.

I made a crude map on the intended initial (intended) deployments according to the operations order for 1980 of GK ("Gotland Coastal Defence" which was one of there teritorial commands under CMKG. It was dominated by the coastal artillery).

There were more units than this, a bunch of supply/depot/administrative etc units. The Furilden Radar Site had it's own dedicated AA and infantry detachments and there were at least five Vkomp (Värnkompani, roughly Fortified Company) manning bunkers and other fixed positions in GK. Mostly older, but local conscrips...

25. Minesweeper and 5. MUL Div (seamine warfare) were navy units, not relevant here.

18th Bde Engineer Coy was for most of it's existance deployed near Slite to destroy the harbour if it seemed like it was going to be lost (most harbours, air fields and bridges in Sweden were prepared for demolition. In many cases the explosives were stored nearby).

For your scenario one could assume most of these units having been destroyed by previous actions, or failed to mobilise - however one strong reason for having an armoured brigade on Gotland was that the enemy would need tanks of his own and the preparations for shipping them over was considered much easier to detect than say an air assault operation...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wulfir For This Useful Post: