View Single Post
Old March 28th, 2003, 10:46 AM

Brigadier General

Mephisto is on a distinguished road
Default Re: [OT] Another heated discussion about the Iraq siutation, war and politics.

Quote:
Originally posted by jimbob:
It could have. It would have pushed the potential fight into summer, which would make the troop movements more difficult in that part of the world (or so I am told, never having been there in summer.. or at all for that matter ). As Geo stated, it's likely that this would have left the threat of force somewhat impotent.
The real threat to me however was the incredible cost of having troops sit for extended periods of time. My friend, Basam, who has lived in Jordan, Saudi Arabia and Kuwait is of the opinion that the Kuwaitis would have gladly paid the US forces upkeep costs. If this is so, then I would definitely change my opinion - yes, the USA should have waited. Now that's a pretty big should! I've not seen any reports of Kuwaiti willingness to pay these costs.
Granted, there was not much time left but I think at least one or two more weeks would have been possible. One could argue that they even could have waited over the summer and attack – if needed – in autumn. I see that this would have been very cost intensive. However, maybe an arrangement would have been possible to collect the money from the UN member states. I think after France and Germany could hardly said “no” to this after they demanded more time. Don’t know about Kuwait, maybe they too would have given money. Finally, this war will cost at least 70 to 80 billion dollars. If you used this money to support the troops over summer and maybe avoid the war altogether, it would be worth it and maybe it would even be a cheaper way. But we’ll never know…