View Single Post
Old September 5th, 2010, 10:13 PM

Second Lieutenant

S.R. Krol is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Question about good historical theme games

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpendery View Post
I'm in Taiwan--a Taiwan/China conflict game would be perfect. WWII is always possible. Perhaps some ancient war, which students might not know a lot about, but since it's so removed from current times, we could perhaps take ourselves there and revel in the history making.
There was a recent magazine (Strategy & Tactics) game, Red Dragon Rising, that featured a modern Asian conflict, though Taiwan was only part of it. There is an older magazine game on a hypothetical Taiwan/China conflict but it is long OOP and is hard to acquire. Supposedly there is a Chinese game on the subject which looks to be a plagerized version of the OOP magazine game but other than seeing one forum post on it a long time ago I don't know anything more about it.

Victory Point Games has Fleets 2025 which is a low complexity game on a modern naval clash around Taiwan.

Battle For China covers the China/Japan conflict. There is a version from Fiery Dragon that is physically small in size and then there is a later magazine version from Decision Games that is the same game, but with a larger map and counters. See Strategy & Tactics issue 259.

A Most Dangerous Time is a game on Feudal Japan from Multiman Publishing. They actually have a couple of upcoming games that would also be of interest, Warriors of Japan and War of the Suns, but I'm not sure when they will actually get published.