View Single Post
Old February 19th, 2024, 02:29 AM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,238 Times in 926 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: Black Screen Flicker

I'm sorry for not getting back much sooner but that will be covered elsewhere. I do however appreciate all your questions and suggestions.

I believe what was happening was I was starting to see the "death" of my PSU (8 yr. old ULTRA 650W BRONZE.).

Last weekend we started to smell that "We just turned the houses Heater for the first time in Winter" situation.

At first thought it was one of my 2 Apple iPads while they were being charged separately on Sat/Sun.

Went to check my email Sun. and the smell was strong around my desk and started the search and it would be from the PC. I have a ATX HAF w/plenty of ventilation and used a vacuum to get any dust out.

Plugged it back in, worked fine, smelled nothing for almost an hour. That electrical smell came back stronger than before.

I shut down my PC and went to turn off the PSU at the switch and it was really hot, so I unplugged it from my "MONSTER"

Upon inspection I would find the PSU box very warm, checked the plug with no damage, cables looked good and as you can see no damage to my components.

Took it in we replaced the PSU with a EVGA 600W 80 PLUS GOLD one and in preparation after going over 3 options at the shop decided to start the build towards an ATX DDR5/or6 build with an AMD RYZEN 7 Processor. Of course, the motherboard (GIGABYTE) and graphics card (NIVIDIA) will be matched accordingly.

The EVGA PSU will work as I'm not an "extreme gamer" (Backup will be a CORSAIR 1000/or 1100) and I replaced my "WD" 1 TB (Only used 10% of it.) hard drive with a 500GB SSD one.

I'm finding it cheaper to order the components I want by hundreds of dollars in some cases versus buying one off the shelf. Since Tiger Direct isn't doing home PC's any longer, looks like Amazon will be my overall best bet from the sites visited thus far.

My thinking is gaming components are more "robust" than Home or Office ones and more advanced generally.

Though I'm generally a more "Half a glass" type person, I'd rather be a "Full glass type person" when it comes to matters like this.

Time will tell when I get into a game "bender" here.

Thanks Again!

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..