Thread: Abrams
View Single Post
Old June 3rd, 2019, 02:14 PM

Sergeant

oragus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Abrams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhiir View Post
Being more inclined to "borrow" tech then the US Army during Gulf I the USMC got ERA kits for their M60's and armored bulldozers from Israel. Replacing the M60s with M1s, was always "in the plans" it just got accelerated due the Gulf I (at the time it was a mix of M1s and M1A1(HA)s, later all were exchanged/upgraded to HCs).

I may well be confusing the AN/VLQ with the Trophy system, both were "after my day" and I'm not a tanker. Much like the esoterics of various radar/jamming systems used by aircraft I sort of get glossy eyed when discussing them, I'm sure aircrew and pilots are "highly amused".
Again, can you list your source? Everything I have ever read about the USMC M60A1 RISEs with ERA were home grown US technology. The Israeli Blazer armor looked totally different and attached differently. I do not know about the Bulldozer armor kits. Also, I have found nothing stating the USMC ever had M1 Abrams at all. They were waiting for the Abrams to mature before investing. The USMC got two types of M1A1s in the beginning. The M1A1 and M1A1HA. You are correct eventually they upgraded their M1A1s to the M1A1HA standard. Which have been upgraded to a non official M1A1 FEP version.

Trying to keep up with all the upgrades and modifications of any equipment can be quite daunting. That's what makes these games so good. They some how managed to incorporate a sizable amount of them over 80 year period covered. Tip the hat to all those that were involved and contributed. Thanks for the efforts!!