View Single Post
Old December 20th, 2016, 02:19 AM

Second Lieutenant

IronDuke99 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: British Army L129A1 7.62mm Sharpshooter rifle.

Thanks. I'm not one of those people who requests orbat game changes because a dozen examples of a .45 pistol were issued in place of a 9mm on one deployment...

I don't think it is a game changer, but it will give every infantry section two full power, enhanced accuracy rifles able to engage at twice the range of a standard 5.56mm assault rifle.

That and the 60mm mortar at platoon level are fairly important changes. Actual sniper rifles and 7.62mm GPMG's remain battalion weapons, although often dished out to Companys. .50 Heavy MG's and 40mm GMG's are also available but are only 'standard issue' to Royal Marines and Paras.

Early in 2016 there was some talk of ditching both the minimi light MG, and the platoon 60mm mortar, but so far as I can find, nothing came of that, probably because recent cuts in overall British Army strength have left the Army with lots of some weapons. This is, I believe in my cynical way, one important reason for Infantry battalion 81mm mortar platoons being increased from 6 to 8 tubes.

The only other change I would note is that UK Armoured Infantry battalions now have two rather than one Warrior IFV's in the Company HQ (ie, x 14 vehicles to a company). Seasons greetings btw...

Last edited by IronDuke99; December 20th, 2016 at 02:29 AM..