Thread: Utility Linux Admining
View Single Post
Old July 16th, 2010, 12:48 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Linux Admining

OK we are back to the runaway logs problem.
There might be two versions. One that does continual packet messages which might be due to users not disconnecting properly (killing dom3 instead of using the quit). And one where a combat loops. Unfortunately, when it happens the panic to fix it before it wipes out the whole server tends to destroy the evidence of what caused it. Oops, my bad. Hey, no one else seems to be coughing up anything helpful.

This is NOT what I planned to do today. But I might get around to testing out soft links. That would be my best bet since it would not mean totally rewriting all the scripts from scratch.

The next option would be a watchdog script to continually watch for the harddrive getting 90% full then text messaging me. For just this problem that would seem to be sloppy and overkill but on the other hand it would be a reasonable thing to have in place since runaway processes and runaway logs CAN be caused by other programs on the system (much rarer but it can happen). I should probably do a search since it seems like someone might have already come up with something along this line that I can just download.

The last option would be redesigning the whole Dom3 games setups. There are many "gee I wish you would" on the lists that could be tackled at the same time. I really thought someone else would have done a "serious direct server" by now to match the quality of the two excellent PbEM servers and one excellent game registration server. This choice is abit of a daunting task since the scripts are SOOooooooo spaghettied now. Virtual drives? Hard and Soft Links? Split game directories using Dom3's internal variables like DOM3_DATA or DOM3_CONF? Dom3 already hogs the /tmp directory far beyond any other internet service and does a lacking job of cleaning up (something else on the need-to-script list).

Another plus to the redesign and rewrite options is the number of games is hitting a max. If I keep doing the always-open blitz-type games then I might need to create a new account to manage the games other people are having me host. It would make it easier to keep one from impacting the other. I keep hitting the limit on maps or game directories or mods. I dont THINK splitting the "user" would split the cpu load but Id have to test that. And as long as Im considering a new user with hard-set limits I MIGHT consider adding another for the must-have-a-menu crowd to put into play something like
http://www.dom3minions.com/lab/MakeGame.htm which has been around longer than anyones. Altho Im still not sure about automation on a server that isnt totally Dom3 dedicated. Pros and Cons.