Thread: Range doubling
View Single Post
Old November 1st, 2020, 06:25 AM

BANNED USER

Kiwikkiwik is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Range doubling

Hi DRG
Thanks for considering my suggestion I'm happy that my idea has been discussed and I'm happy that you are not implementing it. I would point out to you that making suggestions about how the game could be improved does not mean I don't like the game.
No, I am not expecting you to make 25000 clicks. Frankly I am gobsmacked that you designers haven't retained the ability to import the data into the OOBs using a csv file out of an excel spreadsheet for yourselves. It's childsplay for a programmer. I can see that the function would be a
problem for users that are careless, but if you are careful in the spreadsheet not to introduce extra or inappropriate characters into the fields it doesn't present any problems. I feel very sorry for you having had to have done all that unnecessary work that could have been done so much easier straight into a spreadsheet, no wonder you are fatigued.

I mentioned earlier WW2_APCalc.exe would need to be tweeked, I haven't looked into that but it already has the correct penetrations at the correct ranges so I imagine it would be a matter of substituting in two columns when there are now one, not too difficult I imagine.

As far as long range artillery goes, I'm not sure why you cant just say its "not 9500 now its 4750"? would you not just say any gun with 4750 or better range gets 4750 (direct fire) range? as that would be the maximum size of the map anyway? And that for ranges over 199 the values would just need to be evenly divided up into the ranges from 475k to 64.4k instead of from 9.5k to 64.4
just to be clear I am not suggesting any changes to WINSPMBT,
Unfortunately I like your game most sorry for that.

Mobhack
Artillery blast is way overdone in the game already, there is no need to keep the current blast circle areas it could be left as is with the 25m hexes and they would still be overdone. So no need to change warhead sizes or eat any spagetti. Have a look at some reputable sites like
http://nigelef.tripod.com/index.htm
I've already demonstrated that artillery suppression is 62 times more effective in game than in reality. Blast zone effects are similarly grossly overdone. Artillery modelling is one of the weakest aspects of the game.

I though you might have spotted this yourself but I'll point it out for you as you missed it, You just need to halve the value of ranges in the cost calculator and it stays the same? So no need to look at the scenarios etc. or redesign any games.

I'm happy to have established that range doubling is indeed an excellent Idea but that the work load to implement it is too high thank you for your time. c'est la vie eh?