View Single Post
Old September 28th, 2008, 11:37 PM

Private

Deadeye is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Win(e)SPMBT under Linux. (Ubuntu 7.10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonehead View Post

The only game problem that I have had is when I minimized the game, started open office, (Writer), and started a major print operation. Since I already had aMule, Konqueror, Firefox, Gwenview, Wine, and the game running perhaps I overdid my resource usage. The game then slowwwwwwed tremendously when I got back to it, but did not lock up or crash. I saved my game and closed it as a precaution. Closed my other programs, restarted the game, and everything then restarted ok.

james

Asus A7V880+AMD 32bit Athlon 2.1ghz, 2gb DDR1, ATI 1650 AllInWonderPro Graphics. openSUSE Linux 11.0 + KDE 3.5x(?) desktop.
Hi James,

Sorry but I haven't had a chance to try your WINE setup yet.

But regarding your slowdown, your system is not that different from mine (Athlon 2.0Ghz o/c'ed to 2.6Ghz, 2GB memory, 2xNvidia 8600GS SLI, Kubuntu 7.10) and I regularly run WinSPMBT in WINE with 3 Terminals, 2 Konquerors, Firefox, Thunderbird and Skype running, with no slowdowns whatsoever. And I have run OO spreadsheet at the same time as well. So I'm a bit perplexed by your slowdown. Linux should swap out the idle processes you have running and ensure WINE gets the cycles/RAM it needs.

The one difference I see is that I have multiple desktops set up for each program, so I don't minimize WINE - I just switch to a different desktop.

I'll try and duplicate your setup sometime this week and see what happens.

Deadeye