View Single Post
Old January 9th, 2009, 12:41 PM

Sergeant

Charles22 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How do I use ammo trucks?

Imp: Yes, I used to go along the lines of being a "more complete core" but then I figured being more effective was what it was all about, and besides, as I stated before, if I need more transport of some kind, that's part of what the support is for. If I need more transport i don't forget them, and even if I do, how hard is it to reload back to where I can re-pick my support? I ought to realize that as soon as I'm setting up my forces.

Speed isn't as necessary if what you have has punch. Same for the defensive. It is intersting that both you, RERomine, and I draw the conclusion that I'm not as mobile, when I play a map that requires far more of it than any you guys are probably campaigning with, and I get by very nicely. Having quite a few AFV's that can carry infantry help a lot there.

Perhaps for core completists, they are often under the idea that seizing that hill in the middle of a meeting engagement is such a big thing? It's not. There really aren't too many instances of that, and even if there were, understanding we are talking about the AI here, the AI won't seize it in any kind of force anyway, and if so only with tanks pretty much. Anybody can seize that hill with tanks alone, I do it myself, though often they have passengers. Sure I suffer a bit at times for doing that, but ANY transport takes that risk in that situation and many of them come off far worse off as a result. If either side decided to bombard the hill heavily, it's better off that neither side try to stay on it.

Then again, I am presuming that people actually think about the overall battles and even the limited battles, such as only the offensive ones, and build the best fighting force they can. Apparently, as I used to, to some degree, there's a good number of people who want to outfight the AI, but then think that picking almost precisely as the AI (trucks in infantry platoons for example) will achieve that. Oh well, live with useless or near useless units gaining pointless or near pointless experience/morale then. If people spend so much time with trucks getting routed, then by all means put them in core.