Thread: AAR Not so welcome
View Single Post
Old April 11th, 2020, 05:58 PM

Second Lieutenant

Aeraaa is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Not so welcome

Turns 11-15

The left flank of the British force (north) sees some heavy tank fighting at close range. Russian T-14s appear in the streets of Gnarrenburg. They are ambushed by the Challenger platoon that has taken ambush positions in a way that it could hit at least one flank of a T-14 (2). The result is devastating for the Russians. 6 T-14s are knocked out, plus two immobilized, as well as several T-15 APCs. British suffer one Challenger heavily damaged, but still operational. Some Russian forces try to move towards the southern side of the town. Here, a British infantry platoon destroys one T-14 and immobilizes another, although the latter, together with a Ka-50 helicopter causes heavy losses to the British soldiers. Situation is becoming dire for the defenders and the start to slowly fall back.

More T-14s manage to bypass the defenders of Gnarrenburg from the forest to the north and are advancing south. Fortunately, a pair of Apache helos arrives as reinforcements and are immediately send to block the Russian advance. They have to be careful because of heavy AA presence. When they arrive at (1), the start unleashing volleys of Hellfire missiles to the Russian armor with the result being 2 T-14s knocked out. They are aided by two Challengers to their right that knock out two more T-14s. There are still 5 T-14s visible in the area, so more British tanks are moving to counter them.

The astonishing success of the British armor is balanced by the spectacular failure of the RAF. I decided to send all Eurofighters on a strike mission against the massed Russian armor at (3). They are immediately fired upon by a horde of S-400s, Tor-M1s and Tunguskas and all 10 aircraft are shot down for no effect at all. I receive F-35s and Predator drones as reinforcements, as well as F-16s but unless the AA threat is neutralized (especially these damn S-400s), they are not fighting at all. British AAs get a small revenge by shooting down one SU-24.

The aforementioned mass at (3) continues the slugfest with the British Challengers, who start to run out of armor and are trying to fall back. They are aided by The Russian helicopters, which are now 4 Hinds as well as the Ka-50s, thus I estimate around 10 enemy helos in total which is a nightmare. I decide to withdraw my armor to concealed positions behind forests and towns. They are constantly fired upon by helo ATGMs, but only one Challenger is immobilized.

British artillery pounds the Russians at (3). The Russians repay in kind in several places as the whole map is bombarded. At the forest at (4), heavy mortar fire as well as Buratinos firing thermobaric warheads, set the forest on fire, wiping out a British infantry platoon and panicking a Challenger tank platoon. One of the tanks retreats only to be knocked out by an ATGM from a Hind. The survivors retreat inside the forest. Russians take advantage of that and push with infantry and tanks through (5). One T-14 is lost from tank fire, as well as 4 T-15 APCs are destroyed, either by tanks of by infantry firing portable ATs, while 81mm mortars are preventing the dismounts from moving.

A Russian TD company is spotted at (6). They are fired upon by Challenger tanks and are heavily damaged, with around 6 vehicles destroyed. Some of them did fire Konkurs missiles at British armor to no effect.

British receive one final form of reinforcement, a couple of German Roland SAMs. They are immediately put into use, firing at the helos. One helicopter is damaged and will probably retreat soon.

Thus, at the end of turn 15, British defense remains intact. Russian helicopters are the main threat now, as the T-14s seem to be handled for now and my armor losses are very low with just two tanks knocked out. Total points loss is estimated at over 18000 points, thanks to the botched EF-2000 strike. That was by far my biggest blunder of the game, and it can (most probably will) cost me the victory, since if I get over 22000 points of casualties, the game is a draw.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aeraaa For This Useful Post: