View Single Post
Old September 18th, 2014, 01:00 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Daunted by Long Campaign force selection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim James View Post
Thanks for the writeup. I think I'm doing pretty well so far on most of those categories. I might switch back down to leg AT guns though.

I'm a little confused about the unit sizes in WWII. For example, with a 1939-1940 German infantry company on foot, how many individual tanks would I buy to have a tank platoon? In my campaign I took two PzIIIs and two PzIVs for variety. Sometimes that feels like too many, other times not enough!

Same with mortars. How many are in a battery? In the game I have a single unit, of the 80mm variety I believe.

At least I'm pretty happy with how many scout cars I have. Three SdKfz 222s are a lot of fun to use on 40x60 maps to hassle the rear units of the AI.
German tank platoons have 5, some formations have 4 later in the war. So 2 sections of 2 is fine.

Mortar elements come in sections of 2-3 tubes, and platoons of about 6 tubes usually. Count the tubes since some game mortar elements represent only one mortar, others are sections with 2-3 tubes (ditto MGs). The latter I prefer since they provide more concentrated fires and have more crew to absorb any damage.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post: