View Single Post
Old July 26th, 2006, 05:15 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: AI Research Builder

Tabs for each state preclude the ability to put the tech areas at arbitrary locations in the file, as well as arbitrary combinations of states. Entries for states do not have to be grouped, and it might be a good idea for the AI modder to mix them up in some cases.

The only way I can see managing complex states working is by changing the AI research listbox into a data grid that has a column for state. Editing it could be a matter of a popup window that has checkboxes for each state (maybe with a button to store the current selection as the default for new states). Of course, then I would be inclined to add in min percent column, and we lose the overall simplicity of the program.

I think that few people make use of AI states for research anyways, other than a couple for not-connected. From the handful of TDM AIs I looked over, they all appear to use the same set of states for most of the entries.

One thing that you could do is use the program to make two separate files, one for normal and one for not-connected. A quick find/replace in the not-connected one and a merging will do the job better than trying to manage all of the state combinations in the program, I think. I could add a checkbox to explicitly set the states to "Not Connected" upon generation, even. Of course, this doesn't really help with loading existing files. Hmm... maybe just two sets, "Not Connected" and "Everything Else". TDM tends to dump the "Not Connected" at the end of the file, not using it in the other tech area states. This seem like a good compromise?
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.