View Single Post
Old December 31st, 2017, 08:20 AM

Sergeant

Griefbringer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Regarding medium para mortars (US and Commonwealth OOBs)

Thanks for the clarification, I was not aware that it was a design decision to limit the range of these particular weapons in this case.

I noticed that they are of the para mortar unit class, which is a direct fire unit type - it is even displayed in the game with an infantry icon rather than a mortar icon. My first experience with this unit type was playing with the German FJG version, where I assumed the 20 hex range version to represent the short 8 cm mortar that historically had approximately this range. So when encountering the US/UK versions I also initially assumed them to represent some historical weapon, but later on became puzzled when I realised I had not actually encountered any mentions of such weapons in the literature.

Gaming-wise, I must admit that the 20 hex range is still pretty good - and with the limited ammo loads that these units tend to carry it might be best to not waste it in trying to hit too distant targets.

That said, there seems to be a number of infantry units in the US, French and Romanian OOBs with direct fire 60 mm mortars, and I have not noticed any similar range restriction for these units (not even the US paras which have a 60 mm mortar in the platoon HQ) - these seem to have the same 28 or 40 hex range weapon as is used for the indirect fire light mortar class.