View Single Post
Old May 23rd, 2007, 07:39 PM

First Lieutenant

PanzerBob is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Alt History Campaign, 44-46 (sw) SS KG Griffo

Post Disaster Report, KG Griffon

24 March 1945

I'm writing this during my last days in the hospital, Herr Doktor says I'll be fit to command again in a week or two.

After our successful Delaying action and Rest and Repair period, in early Oct 44, we were assigned the task of occupying the town of Cleve, before the Canuks could dig in there. I'm told that we achieved our objective with minimal loses; however I ended up severely wounded.

As part of our refit I managed to obtain a shiny new Befehlspanther, (this was to be my undoing) plus I gave our Recce Gp some Heavy Spahwagens, plus some upgrades to our SPAA capability. On loan from Div we were blessed with a few new HUBZ for recce purposes and some attached arty bttys.

We took the town and the X roads leading into it in good order. The Canuks put in their attack just as the last of my slower vehicles were pulling into posn. The initial 15 or so minutes saw some causalities and two Panthers out of action by Fireflies.

I decided to move up to check out the scene myself, not a good idea. Despite, moving from one concealed spot to another, we were spotted by JABO's. Three Typhoons swept over the rear area, the first, taking out a near by damaged Whirlwind, then the other two, dived in on my crew and me. Both scored hits all over my Panther with cannons and rockets, it was a nightmare, but one I woke up from in the white clean sheets of a hospital bed, 2 weeks later.

The Doctors say to was lucky, to have only minor burns, 2 broken legs, crushed ribs, concussion and I was one big bruise. My crew didn't make I'm told.

I've also heard since being here that the war is turning to our favour. The Russians did truly quit the war and turned to internal matters, the way I understand it, the purges now under way are making Stalin's look like a cakewalk.

Two other events, have influenced the war as well, Hitler finally realised his Doctor was a quack, (he was retired) and has stopped his regiment of drugs, upon rising from the fog, he realised that he was running war when he had not the expertise, he has since passed back the baton to the General Staff. The other event was the execution of RM Goering, for treason, for his failure to defend the Reich from the constant Bomber Raids and allowing the Allies to achieve air-superiority over Western Europe.

These events have allowed the right leaders to be put into power, for example Galland is now the RLM, and since has stopped the USAAF/RAF Bomber Raids, and while the skies over our troops aren't clear yet, the Allies no longer have free reign over us or the Fatherland.

This has also allowed for better weapons and troops to be realised. Two days ago, I saw the launch of our first Amerika Missile, on this TV thing here at the hospital, claimed a hit in New York City, but rumour says it came down some place called Scanton. I must say Yanks are scratching their heads on that one. Most troops now have StG44's, new and more efficient Panzers and SPW's are on the way. We've pushed back into France, and the Allies are now having continual supply and moral problems.

It's March 1945, Spring, I feel reborn, and I've been here too long, maybe this afternoon when RM Heydrich passes through on his official visit, he'll have news of where I'm to be posted. I understand my old Division is with Army Group Rommel in central France, that would fine with me.

Obersturmbannführer PanzerBob

"Whenever in future wars the battle is fought, panzer troops will play the decisive role..."
Heinz Guderian, General der Panzertruppe