View Single Post
Old January 1st, 2018, 02:00 AM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,237 Times in 925 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: Counter battery fire question

Again Happy New Year!! Just wanted to make a quick comment from an earlier question on Pg. 3, I think you'll that almost all RL SP Arty can easily "Shoot-n-Scoot" and currently fire again within 5-6 minutes or slightly less. Towed arty with more modern field pieces (Because they are so much lighter now/purpose designed for it as well.) can do the same within ten minutes easily or less. Most equipment sites will bare this out as it's a now a considered evaluation point in the effectiveness of the piece most importantly of course in it's survivor ability for both weapon and crew.

Most of your more modern nations, I would think based on your opponent would use the above to their advantage with the rise of precision guided munitions that have become much more prevalent in the last 15 -10 years or so, vice digging in.

Some CB radar manufacturers are claiming they can identify/pass the targeting data/execute the fire mission within 3-4 minutes (Or less.). Not as safe an assignment as it might've once been being in artillery.

The following a quick example of many...
"Within 2 minutes the CAESAR 8x8 can fire 6 rounds and leave its position." from...
http://www.military-today.com/artillery/caesar_8x8.htm

I have found against the AI, that my CB when used given the conditions in the field, are normally very successful in that role. But I generally played long generated campaigns that will normally last 27 battles. I won't say more except that there's plenty of time to increase my units experience levels. But what's true for me is also true for the AI. But I feel the length of time involved is the key factor here. I'm just not seeing it as much of a random feature but, more along the lines that I can almost expect it to happen as the campaign moves along and sooner than later.

However if forced to shift my fire missions to support my units on the field, that seems to "break" that routine to where I won't have anymore CB opportunities for the rest of that battle somewhere just before or closer to the halfway point of that particular battle in the campaign. Those have been my experiences since I've started playing this game regardless of any changes to arty made in the "routines" in a given game patch.

Time and Experience.

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; January 1st, 2018 at 02:23 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post: