Thread: AAR Quang Tri
View Single Post
Old May 17th, 2018, 07:42 AM

Second Lieutenant

Aeraaa is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Quang Tri

Turns 21-30

4/147 battalion assaults the citadel (1). One company moves towards the west, the other towards the south. The fight is inside trenches, slow and bloody, but the ARVN troops make progress. The goal is to encircle the citadel by capturing the entire trenchline, then assault the citadel proper. Battalion casualties are 40 men.

1/147 battalion (2) completes the capture of the firebase and moves south-southwest. The goal is to capture the compound to the south and the Pagoda. Battalion casualties are 47 men, many of them due to a friendly fire incident when an A-1 ground attack plane napalmed several of my troops.

ACAV platoon (3) cannot advance any more, due to mines and enemy resistance. Casualties are 7 men and 1 M113 ACAV APC that stepped on a mine (all crew survived though).

5/2TF para battalion (4) splits into two parts. One will aid the ACAV platoon in capturing the outskirts of Quang Tri, while the other will capture the southern part. Advance is slow and it is only with heavy artillery strikes that the paras make any progress. The battalion suffers 55 casualties.

1/11/2TF para company (5) secures their objective. One platoon stays back to defend it, the rest of the company moves forward. They come under fire from 37mm AA. Thanks to M60 MGs, attack helos and artillery, they manage to neutralize the majority of their opponents (snipers, heavy MGs and infantry is also included in the mix). The company suffered 16 casualties so far.

7/2TF battalion dismounted troops (6) move towards the bridges. They encounter heavy AAs (37mm), infantry and dug in positions, but a combination of mortars, flamethrowers, attack helicopters and determined infantry attacks overcome most resistance. ARVN paras are only about 150 meters from their objective. One company lands further north with their goal being the capturing of the northern part of the city. Battalion has suffered 34 casualties so far.

The AA guns at (7) are finally eliminated after a lot of air strikes. My air units can move much more freely now.