View Single Post
Old March 17th, 2005, 11:01 PM

Major General

Saber Cherry is on a distinguished road
Default Recruitable Mage Rebalance - seeking comments

I ripped data on the game's recruitable mages from Edi's database, and applied a blanket 20% cost increase to them, in an effort to deemphasize mages. Good idea, or misguided - I don't really know, but currently mage power per unit gold is vastly higher than that of any other unit you can purchase, and good players seem to spend the bulk of their recruiting money on mages. At least, that's my perception.

However, this blanket increase is not really perfect, since some mages were too expensive before, and some will still be too cheap. So, I'm requesting comments.

In base Dominions II:

1) Which mages are too expensive for their power?
2) Which mages are too cheap for their power?
3) Are there any mages you ALWAYS or NEVER build when you have the capability?
4) Do any nations strongly need a type of mage, a certain path, or a certain level in a path? For example, base Vanheim has no real blood hunting ability, and base TC or BF Ulm cannot use their national spells.
5) Any other suggested changes to the games mages?

Thanks for your comments. The next post is a list of mages that the mod will adjust, including their original price and (preliminary) modded price, abilities, paths, holiness, precision, and encumbrance (not spell casting encumbrance). Please use it for reference

Edit: made some grammar corrections.