View Single Post
Old October 30th, 2003, 11:55 PM

Sergeant

Chris Byler is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dominions II Bug Thread

Quote:
Originally posted by PvK:
I would add that your archers probably shouldn't have fired wrecklessly enough to wipe out your ace units like that.

Having played a bit of Doms II now, I think that my #1 Doms I gripe (and almost my only Doms I gripe) still needs some work: friendly fire. I think it may have improved in Doms II, but I think it would greatly improve the game to add some logic so that missile units prefer targets that have no chance of accidentally hitting friendly units, and that only fire near friendlies in extreme circumstances (no safe target, enemy is not fleeing, enemy is dangerous, enemy can be easily hurt by missile attack, nearby friendly units are low value and/or unlikely to be hurt by missile attack).

I have seen several battles already where most or all of one side's losses are due to friendly fire when there were safe targets available, or when the target enemy was routing anyway.

PvK
Yeah, I agree. Too many times, a company of archers will fire at one enemy surrounded by 20 allies - and of course 90% of their fire will hit my guys. Now, if they're berserkers, that's not all bad, but usually, it makes archers dangerous to deploy at all, because their fire discipline is so terrible.

It's worse now that you can't order them to "fire mages" or "fire commanders" - they are both less useful and more dangerous. Please implement a "fire safe" order, that will only fire at enemies that are sufficiently far from any friendly (and possibly move closer if there aren't any good targets - the closer they get, the less scatter and therefore the more targets can be considered "safe".)