View Single Post
Old October 18th, 2006, 12:45 PM

Private

Talleyrand is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Answering the Critics

I can't answer for anybody else, but for me personally, depth directly correlates with choices, and this game offers me an abundance of choices: in the type of God I have, the nation I choose to play, the units I want to build, the magic path/s I want to pursue, the strategy I take to win wars, the tactics I use to win battles, etc. I don't think these things are meant to "cover up" a weaker aspect of the game but that the design philosophy used in its creation intentionally emphasizes certain areas over others. If economics is what they want I can recommend a plethora of games where that is the main focal point, but then those games lack certain qualities this game has.

As for specialized buildings, they are really just a hassle to me. The Total War series in particular comes to mind as it takes forever to build up a newly conquered province and start recruiting quality troops from it, or recieve an economic boost. I prefer to think of Dominions building as being "streamlined," lol, and I see nothing wrong with that.

--Friedrich Nietzche