View Single Post
Old December 28th, 2004, 07:50 AM

Sergeant

henk brouwer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DOWW2 - Alpha release

Just downloaded the module this post may contain some spoilers for people who haven't played yet...

I chose a light tank for the first game (and average difficulty), It's was certainly a nice experience to be driving a well-armored tank into Nurtred for a change (Let lord Sertis try and steal the crown of the magis this time... )

I quickly found out I wasn't as invincible as I thougt I was, a level 3 SU-152 came around a corner and killed me with two well aimed shots .

So I started my second game a bit more carefully.. (same setup) and I lived a lot longer this time. I slaugthered a huge batallion of BT7 tanks early on, and had an epic fight with a j8-2 with refitted armor. (My bullets seemed almost useless against it's armor)

I finally found a 85 mm gun and ammo just before my own ammo ran out, wow... the 85 mm is definitely a -lot- more effective than the little gun I started out with . The thing was quite heavy for a light tank, so I had to invest quite some points from levelling into strength, but it was worth the investment. I left a trail of carnage and destruction through the town of Nurtred, until finally my 85mm ammo ran out and I had to resort to other means of destruction. But I did manage to clear the level .

Anyhow, an overall first impression:
I like it a lot , It feels a bit odd to be battling tanks in Nurtred, but I can see that the finished game with more suitable maps, and a good soundtrack would be really nice to play.

What I really like about this module is that the gameplay is very different from original DO. I found myself trying to keep distance from targets, carefully aiming my shots, in an effort to waste as little ammo as possible.

I really like the extensive descriptions for all the units, it adds a lot to the atmosphere of the game.

I also liked how there are clearly different units, like the heavily armored j8-2, which doesn't use much firepower, and on the other hand units that fire lots of shots, but have little armor.

It seems that the heavier weapons, and tanks have a huge advantage over the light tanks and weapons in the alpha Version. Maybe it would be nice to give the heavy weapons some disadvantages in a next Version, which would make the lighter weapons more usefull. (like enemy infantry with a very high "lightning" resistance, that are easily harmed by light weapons (low "magic" resistance).

Other than that gameplay balance seems reasonable, I was low on ammo a couple of times though, but I never completely ran out, but I can see how this could become a really big problem.

keep up the good work

Christmas module v1.05 (attached to first post)

Xerathul's Revenge v0.5