Thread: Polish OOB
View Single Post
Old October 14th, 2015, 06:52 PM

Captain

Pibwl is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Polish OOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaS TrooP View Post
25mm French AT gun (unit 401 if I am not mistaken. Pardon me if I am). These are available till August 1940. In fact, should be available till June 1942. Independent Carpathian Rifle Brigade managed to evacuate significant amount of those guns from Syria in 1940. They were used regardless of British weaponry standarization. They were also used with good effect in Siege of Tobruk (till December 1941) and later, around Gazala.
These guns were probably withdrawn together with the brigade and most likely scrapped as ineffective in mid 1942.
Rather not. 25mm guns evacuated from Syria were next handed over to the British, who needed any AT weapons, while the Polish brigade had not been ready to fight yet. For sure most known guns used during later combat (Tobruk defence and Gazala) were 37 mm Bofors (Polish manufactured!), there were also captured Bredas (20mm, probably also 47mm), and possibly 2pdrs. There could have been 25mm guns, but they would have to be given by the British, not original ones - and I haven't heard about their usage at that time. Maybe you have some sources, that would explicitly mention 25mm guns in 1941-42 combat.

As for infantry platoon - I have no thoughts at the moment, and I'd have to re-check the subject, but I don't think it's worth twiddling..