Thread: Carriers
View Single Post
Old June 4th, 2017, 08:51 AM

Captain

Cross is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Carriers

Kiwi,

You have made some good observations about carriers that I had thought about...
But I will keep my comments limited to the PIAT.

The PIAT had an effective range of just 100 yds, and the chances of an enemy tank permitting a carrier to get that close are too slim to be worth worrying about.

Clearly there is a much greater chance of success if the PIAT is used from outside the vehicle as a stealthy approach is then possible. Same thing would apply to the German Unit 612 PzJ Bren(e) Rkt

What about flame-thrower vehicles, do we also do away with them because a tank wouldn't permit them to get close?

The PIAT had a range of 350 yards (indirect 'house-breaking range) and a direct fire (effective, hit a moving tank) range of 115 yards.

The PIAT was an excellent weapon, much maligned and underappreciated in our modern era.
Unlike the Bazooka, you didn't need to wear a gas mask to shoot it. You don't the gas masks in many photos, because it just doesn't look cool...

The PIAT didn't need a large shield, like the Panzershreck.
You could fire the PIAT from a building.
You could not fire the Panzershreck, Bazooker or Panzerfaust from a building or bunker.
The PIAT had a very small smoke signature compared the above weapons.
Fire a Bazooka and everyone in line-of-sight instantly saw your position.
The PIAT was rated the best platoon weapon by Canadian Officers in WWII, even better than the Bren Gun!

How do you model this in SPWW2?

Cheers,
Cross