View Single Post
Old September 19th, 2010, 02:30 AM

Captain

RERomine is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DAR: USSR vs Germany

Decisive Victory!!!!

Turn 22

Alpha cut lose at everything in range, which wasn't much. There were a few pinned units, including an FO. Destroyed the FO and a scout. A few squads in range were sent running to the rear. My light tanks on the left side had LOS of a few units the main line didn't and tore into those. The only response from the enemy was a little artillery on and behind the line.

Repositioned a couple of tanks along Bravo's line so everyone could shoot. I didn't fire my infantry because there were still a lot of enemy in sight. Most were on the run, but Bravo is basically shattered and I didn't want to lose the rest of a squad for the loss of one man. I did swing my light tank south on Bravo's hill so it had a better view of enemy retreating on the low ground. It laid into some and hurt them badly.

All the enemy on Charlie's hill was retreating or routed, so I pushed them forward a little more. I also moved my tank and armored car again to get more shots. The only fire the enemy put on the hill was by one squad the Kosmolets down south had kept pinned. That little track did well at delaying the enemy from that sector.

Mortar fire continued to pound the slot, hastening the enemy departure.

The Germans decided they had enough.

Casualties

Friendly: Estimated 5 casualties.

Enemy: Estimated 20 casualties.

Total Casualties

USSR

Men: 243
Artillery: 1
Soft Vehicles: 0
APCs: 0
AFVs: 4
Air Transports/Helos: 0
Aircraft: 0

Germany

Men: 513
Artillery: 0
Soft Vehicles: 0
APCs: 0
AFVs: 31
Air Transports/Helos: 0
Aircraft: 0

Score

USSR: 5143
Germany: 411

Final Comments

This battle was everything I expected it to be. I faced basically four German Infantry Companies and two German Tank Companies. They were as tough as I expected.

The fire support that the enemy was able to employ helped them some, but not as much as it could. Too much of it was spent targeting isolated targets instead of massed targets. It finally got around to massed targets near the very end, but it was too late by then.

I'm still not convinced that my infantry can stand alone without armor support. A total of 29 armored vehicles were destroyed. Of those, my infantry accounted for two; one tank and one already immobilized and damaged armored car. They also immobilized one other tank. Of the remaining 27 AFVs destroyed, my mortars accounted for three and my tanks, armored cars and ATGs for 22 and two were classified as destroyed because they were abandoned at the end of the battle. While I didn't keep track, I believe only 20% of my assaults resulted in any positive result. This is mainly due to the fact that they have no integrated AT weapons. An assault with grenades can work, but it is almost a last resort. If I can't beef up my infantry AT capability, I need to do it some place else.

My defense worked about as well as could be expected. The enemy hit me in a seam in my defenses. Bravo and Charlie were not in contact. This is where they hit me. My armor defense was spread out to handle attacks along the front and they concentrated all their tanks in this one area. I stopped them, but at the expense of having Bravo and Charlie mauled. Maybe that is the nature of the game and in the end, I won.

During the repair and refit stage, I'm going to have to seriously look at my force and see where it can improve. I lost three tanks and will have to consider my options. Realistically, there probably wouldn't be any replacements early in the war. I'm not going to allow my core, which has already been gutted, be totally destroyed. It will take some thought. I might have to start using more of my support points as well. They may end up being cannon fodder, but could be used to dull the German blade while my core breaks it in half.

I've attached the save just before I ended my last turn. Enjoy!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Saved Games.zip (202.0 KB, 331 views)