Thread: AAR The Duck Hunt
View Single Post
Old August 22nd, 2018, 05:36 PM

Second Lieutenant

Aeraaa is on a distinguished road
Default The Duck Hunt

This is another scenario in the WW3 series. In this one, the Romanian 282nd mechanized brigade is fighting a delay action near the town of Marasesti. The town is quite small, but is very important historically, since it was near this place that the Romanian army finally halted the advance of August von Mackensen in WW1, keeping the northeastern part of Romania free from Central Powers’ occupation. Back then, the Russians were allies to the Romanians. Now, in an ironic twist of fate, Romanian soldiers have to defend their country again from their then allies.
The map of the battlefield is the following one. I was a bit eager to start the scenario so I already played turn one, thinking that it will be a quiet turn. Instead, I was greeted with a vicious artillery barrage that caused some light casualties and made some damages, which can be visible on the map. Nevertheless, here are the objectives for the game (in pink and numbered):

On the eastern bank of the by now famous Siret River, there is the town of Cosmesti (1). There is also an important bridge at Road 24 (2), which is screened by a large depot and the villages of Baltar and Satu Nov. In all of these places, Romanian light forces, as well as tanks and tank destroyers form a first line of defense.
The other place that can be used to cross Siret is the Siret dam at (3). In front of the dam, lies the town of Malureni at (4). Again, Romanians defend this town to delay the Russians as much as possible.
There are two important road junctions directly behind the river crossing sites. One is at road 24 to the south (5), the other is a small stone bridge at (6) to the north. A delaying action can be performed in both places. More road objectives exist at (7) and (8), while the final objective is the town of Marasesti itself at (9).
The battlefield size is 160*160 hexes. Scenario length is 40 turns.
The position of the Romanian forces is as follows:

With (1) are all the positions of the 280th mechanized infantry battalion. Each company of the battalion is well equipped with ATGM teams and they have modernized BMP-1s. The battalion is supported by the 2/284 tank company, equipped with the most modern Romanian tanks (T-55M2 Bizonul). These are heavily modernized T-55s, with thermal imaging, upgraded armor and a 51 AP 100mm cannon. While they are definitely more formidable than other T-55 models around, they are severely lacking against almost every single one tank the Russian army can field. In addition to that, an AT platoon, as well as AA platoons and recon elements also support the battalion, whose mission is to act as a first line of defense in front of Siret River, a task hardly enviable.
At (2), directly behind the bridge at road 24, an infantry company is deployed. It is supported by yet another Bizonul platoon, as well as AT assets (100mm AT guns and RPGs). Their objective is to ambush any Russian units that cross the river, and cover the potential retreat of Romanian units east of Siret River.
To the north (3), the position beyond the dam is defended by a Bizonul platoon and a tank destroyer platoon. In the centre at (4), a Bizonul platoon, together with scout elements and ATGMs will act either as a quick reserve, or will hit enemy units in the flanks.
The other mechinf battalion, the 300th, is deployed in the urban objectives west of Siret, as shown in the map at (5). They are supported by Bizonul tanks as well, mostly belonging to the 284th tank battalion. To the rear, there are several Hawk batteries, in positions marked as (6). The artillery of the brigade comprises of an 120mm mortar platoon at (7), as well as an 152mm battery and two 130mm batteries at (8). Finally, the brigade HQ lies in the woods at (9), as well as a SOCAT flight (Romanian attack helicopters carrying Spike ATGMs, by far the most effective weapon the Romanians have).
With the above things taken into account, the plan is simple: Hold as much as I can to the east of Siret, while making sure no reasonable size of Russian forces cross the river. If they try to cross from any of the two chokepoints (the dam and the bridge), then bring the wrath of God upon them (artillery plus MRL assets I also have off map, plus air strikes). If I manage that and also have fewer than 18000 points of losses, victory will be mine.
As I said, first turn is already played. Russians fired a heavy preparatory barrage across all likely points of resistance, causing some light losses. Some Russian forces are already visible (one BMP platoon, one T-80 platoon).
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aeraaa For This Useful Post: