View Single Post
Old January 19th, 2010, 07:24 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Suhiir's Revised USMC OOB #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy96 View Post
This is interesting, since I wasn't aware that the USMC retained any of its UH-1Es in anything but a training capacity (TH-1Es) after the introduction of the UH-1N in 1971. The upgrading of the engines isn't mentioned in the official USMC helicopter history from 1962-1973 (which was published in 1978). The differences between long and short fuselage UH-1s I would think would be different enough to warrant using a term like "UH-1E+" or something. I dunno. Its good to know the reasoning though and it does make sense.
Never came across the "Official History" (wonder how I missed it).
Actually the idea of creating a UH-1E+ (with UH-IH speed for the engine upgrade) is a good idea! Then drop the UH-1H to avoid further confusion. It will also "fix" the long fuselage (larger carry capacity) problem.
*makes a note*

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhiir View Post
GAU-19 50cal gattling
In an on-again/off-again discussion they've been talking of mounting a chin turret with the GAU-19 on the MV-22 Osprey. So they have some GAU-19s (they got about 100 of them in 2007).
Since they haven't gotten around to putting the chin turrets on the MV-22s they're occasionally used as a replacement for the M134 7.62mm minigun on UH-1's. So I stuck them on my "Light Attack Helicopter (Unit Class 221) variant which I've set up to be mainly "soft vehicle"/"crewed weapon" killer helo (the 50cal vs the 7.62mm, less HE and more AP rockets).
Okay, this more or less fits what I've heard. The GAU-19/A has been tested on just about every helicopter in US military inventory in the last 20 years, but there seems to be no rush to put it into active service.
I've not read anything about this. Do you have a source? I'd be interested to incorporate it into some projects I'm working on.
Afraid this is just one one of the many post-it notes in my "Helicopter" file.
"Bought 100ish GAU-19s in 2007, used in place of M134s"

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhiir View Post
HTL Gunship (Unit 629)
(A.K.A. YR-13 / H-13 / OH-13 Sioux)
This was a field mod commonly made to observation helos during Korea. Some pilots also carried hand grenades to drop as "bombs". This was never an "official" modification but was very, very common.
The US Army formalized this with the "XM1 armament subsystem" http://tri.army.mil/LC/CS/csa/xm1m37c.gif
I've not read anything about this. Do you have a source? I'd be interested to incorporate it into some projects I'm working on.

Yet another post-it note I'm afraid.
"Korea, 1951ish, Observers in H-13 (HTL) very unhappy with lack of guns, mount 2x30cal on skids, Army later formalize as XM1".
Keep in mind they only had a dozen or so HTLs in the "observer" role in Korea. So while this may have been a "common" mod I doubt more then half of them had it. So I'd be VERY hesitant to field a fleet of "HTL Helo Gunships". It's more that sometimes a HTL Light Helo might be armed.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein