Old June 1st, 2009, 12:59 PM

Major General

MaxWilson is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Random New Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amonchakad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcturas View Post
Oops, almost forgot: How do terror/frighten work? Do theyf orce the targeted enemy units to take morale checks ala fear, or do they lower he enemy morale, or both?
I just ran a test game, and here are the conclusions:

- Frighten lowers morale by 6, it stacks, and it looks like it doesn't enfore a morale check

-Terror lowers morale by 5, stacks with both itself and frighten, and looks like it forces a check (i had a squad routing immediately after terror without taking a single hit,so it should be that)

As i said they stack,so they can even reduce morale to negative with repeated castings, but the affected unit recover morale, getting back to the original value after 2-3 turns
The effects of Fear (Frighten/Terror/etc.) are highly variable, sometimes a single casting will reduce morale by 10 or more and sometimes it leaves it untouched. I'm not sure what the pattern is, but high-morale units seem less likely to take a big Morale hit than low-morale units, so perhaps it decreases Morale by some fraction of the margin of failure. According to the manual, a unit which has lowered Morale from Fear will recover 1/2 of its Morale every turn (so if you're down 10 on turn 1 you'll be down 5 next turn and then down 2 and then down 1 and then back at full Morale) and this generally accords with what I see in practice.

-Max

["Memories of Ice", by Steven Erikson. Retranslated into l33t.]