View Single Post
Old July 21st, 2013, 07:31 AM

Captain

wulfir is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WIP Campaign "Kampfgruppe Weber"

Fourth battle done.

----- Spoilers ----------

Turn 00, KG deployed in deployment zone village. Expect main enemy attack along main road.

Turn 01-05, Bauer's two armoured cars are sent on a recon mission, to keep an Eye on the KG right flank. (Now I notice the damaged armoured car is not a 234/1 but a SdKfz 234/3, ops). Pz-Zug Schneider is lead element.

Enemy infantry attack develops on the village held by Kp Ziegler.

Bauer spots American infantry, platoon strength, advancing on the flank of the KG - seemingly aiming for the village where KG Weber staff and mortar elements are deployed. Bauer engages.

One single PzIV, Kp Kronz HQ element, the remains of Krause's platoon (one section) and a MMG section from Scherrer's platoon are re-directed to defend the HQ village. Expect tanks to show up behind Ami infantry.

Turn 06-10, enemy infantry breaks into Ziegler's village. Heavy fighting. Ziegler is pushed back. Schneider and Langkeit reach Zieglers position. Enemy losses start to mount. Enemy tanks supporting the attack on Ziegler are engaged by Schneider and Langkeit.

Bauer withdraws fighting. Just as the lone PzIVh, commanded by Metzger, shows up a company of Shermans appear. Metzger knocks out three before retreating.

Turn 11-15, Ami Panzers reach HQ village. Metzger's PzIVh is knocked out. Remaining units in village to pull out. Pz-Zug Langkeit to disengage and pull back in case enemy tanks at HQ village strike for centre village, held by Major Ulrich, reinforced with Kessler and Scherrer. Enemy artillery hit our positions. Ziegler still master of his village.

Two StuG III arrive. Nice. StuGs reinforce Langkeit, engages enemy Panzers now advancing from HQ village, 4 knocked out.

Kronz and Krause manage to slip away on foot and avoid detection near HQ village.

Turn 16 - 20, enemy tank Company is ambused upon approaching Ulrich's village by Langkeit. 9 Shermans are shot up without friendly losses. Kronz and Bauer re-establish control over HQ village against minor resistance from American infantry.

Some fighting still rages in Ziegler's village. Enemy effort dies down. Heavy artillery fire.

Turn 21 - 30, fresh enemy infantry make another effort at siezing HQ village. One mortar half-track knocked out to close assault. Weber's command Lynx engaged. The PzKw 1c is taken out by a bazooka hit. A major tank attack also develops to the east. Both Langkeit and the StuGs are needed to check it. Elements in HQ village will have to cope on their own.

The last enemy tank attack against Ulrich and Zeigler's positions is defeated by fire from Schneider's three Panthers and Langkeit's single Jpz IV. Sherman return fire Bounces on the Panthers and most Shermans burn. Heavy artillery fire hit Zeigler's village and at battle's end there are both German and American elements present in the village.

At HQ village Bauer and Kronz restore order and dispatch nearly all of the infantry that managed to infiltrate. Close assault claims the last mortar half track.

---------

Excellent map. Better still is the set-up of the AI controlled American forces and the path of attack. Keeps the player guessing. I expected minor attacks on the deployment village along the "dirt road", but not a major attack as developed. I also expected a minor attack on the centre village from the "North" which did not happen and a major push along the main road against the village held by Ziegler - and I did not expect Ziegler's rather weak force to hold for long. Creative and fun setup!

(If I have time I'll play the North route too.)