View Single Post
Old July 19th, 2011, 04:12 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SAL error

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcrawford1948 View Post
I just received winSPWW2, and I installed it successfully. However, when I tried to run it, I got the following errors: Sal error lpDD --> SetDispayMode() failed error code 80004001 followed by SAL error DirectDraw could not be initialized error code 80004001. The game would go no further. What can be done about this? I'm running Windows 7 on a Dell machine.
It would be helpful to know the following:
Are you trying to run the game in full screen or windowed mode?
What resolution were you attempting to use?
Are you using the free demo game, or the full CD version?.
Have you applied all the patches, in order?

Since you have windows 7 - I presume you have installed the game correctly for that as detailed in the installation instructions, and also as laid out in the sticky thread on windows Vista and Seven installation at the top of this forum.

If not, then de-install and reinstall the game as specified in that thread. Install all the patches to the same folder you chose to install to as well.

You will need to be patched up to the latest version for Vista and windows 7 support (batch file full screen mode).

The DirectX error is usually seen when trying to run the game at a graphics mode that is not supported by your video hardware. For example - you may be trying to run the free demo at 640x480 full screen and some modern machines may not support that. Or rarely - if you actually don't have DirectX installed (not usually the case these days).

So try running in windowed mode, instead.

Also try one of the other resolutions and see if the machine runs that (in both of windowed and full screen modes)

Cheers
Andy
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post: