View Single Post
Old September 8th, 2003, 08:47 PM

Major

Instar is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Estimated System Reqs?

The settings are ajustable in the game or out of it. I'm running XP Pro on a custom built P4 1.8 ghz with 512K Cache, 512 MB DDR RAM, and GF4 Ti 4400. I run it with every setting maxed out and I never experience a drop in performance (unless some background task starts up).
A couple of lessons though:
Make sure your video card drivers are up to date (we had issues with this at first). Sound card drivers too are good to have updated, but I don't think anyone in the beta had trouble with it, but you might as well do it. There might be specific mobo/chipset related issues, which might require a BIOS update (only if you know how to do it).
Some of you will get much greater performance if you get newer video cards. You don't have to get anything past a GF2 I'll bet. 16MB video cards are sooooo 90s.
DX 9b should be distributed with the SESF disk (its free to MM to do so) so if you have a slow download speed, don't worry too much.

As for computer parts, I shop Newegg.com exclusively. They have great selection and good prices.
Pricewatch is good, but shipping can add up if you buy parts from more than 2 vendors.
When a cat is dropped, it always lands on its feet, and when toast is dropped, it always lands with the buttered side facing down. I propose to strap buttered toast to the back of a cat. The two will hover, spinning inches above the ground. With a giant buttered cat array, a high-speed monorail could easily link New York with Chicago.