View Single Post
Old August 2nd, 2002, 06:43 AM

Sergeant

Quikngruvn is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Devnull Mod Gold: updates and discussion

Quote:
...One thing that could be considered, though, is raising the mine limit per sector to 200, 300, or 500. This way you could build big mine fields if you have the time. Still these could be swept with special mine sweepers. For example, a cruiser could have 20 PDC and be able to sweep 100 mines. Five of them could sweep the largest mine field possible.
I like the idea of upping the unit limit per sector, but I wonder if that would weaken seekers, fighters, and drones. Five of your aforementioned PD cruisers would be able to spit out 100 point-defense per combat turn, effectively nullifying seekers etc. (Not completely, since the PD ships still have to stay close to the offensive ships, but still....) If the fleet did not need to prepare for the possibilty of 500 mines in a sector, it would (probably) not have not nearly so much PD in it, so seekers etc. may still be effective.

Is that as confusing as I think it is?

[edit] I almost forgot... mines also tend to suck up a lot of radioactives, which can cause a problem if you're not careful. I came this close to learning that the hard way in the DNM Learning game.... [/edit]

Quikngruvn

[ August 02, 2002, 05:46: Message edited by: Quikngruvn ]