View Single Post
Old March 26th, 2007, 05:25 AM

Second Lieutenant

Hellboy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dominion Spread

Quote:
Micah said:
Hellboy,

Boosted dominion doesn't affect temple spread, so your starting dominion matters late game, not the modded dominion number.
On page 93 of the manual:
The chance of your dominion increasing in a province or spreading to an adjacent province partly depends on your god's initial dominion which you specified when you created your pretender. The chance is multiplied by your god's maximum dominion.

The example that follows in the manual makes this even more clear. So it absolutely is the boosted dominion that matters - unless there's been a rule change since the manual was printed?

Quote:
Dominions isn't a game about late game potential anyhow...your late game potential is determined by your early game success and little else. High dominion spread from your temples, along with growth/death scales, are probably the 2 most important long-term considerations.
I don't know what game you're playing but it surely isn't the same one I play! Now granted, I love EA games on big maps with big magic. In this kind of game it is true that early game expansion is a big driver, but to say "little else" seems to be over simplifying, imho. And for sure saying growth/death scales as one of the top 2 long term considerations does not apply to the MP games I've been seeing.

In the games I play the primary resource and source of power in the end game is gems and the troops/leaders that you summon with them. Any kind of troop you can buy with gold becomes irrelevant, eventually. And it that environment, having death scales really doesn't hurt you a whole lot. Now to the extent that early expansion gets you better access to gems and better funds to buy your researchers, yes the early expansion is critical. However, I do not believe that the #1 expander in the first 20 turns is guaranteed to be the winner (as one might conclude from your statement "your late game potential is determined by your early game success and little else").