Old October 28th, 2017, 10:54 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,438 Times in 2,698 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: another project for someone

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSheppard View Post
It appears that it was originally built as:

Raketenjagdpanzer 2 armed with SS-11 and in service 1967 to 1983ish with 370 built.

After the HOT missile was developed, they converted 316 Raketenjagdpanzer 2's to carry it (Euromissile K3S HOT) from 1978 to 1983. The converted vehicles were redesignated JAGUAR 1. Removed from Bundeswehr service by 2005.

From 1983 to 1985, some 165 Kanone Jagdpanzer (the one with 90mm gun) were converted by removal of the 90mm gun and addition of the TOW ATGM system. Additional armor was also added. These vehicles were redesignated JAGUAR 2.

In 1989, the Jaguar 2 received the TOW 2 missile system.

In 1993, the Jaguar 2 tank destroyers were phased out in favour of the Jaguar 1A3, an upgraded version of the Jaguar 1.

While it may seem bizarre that the Jaguar 1 survived, but the Jaguar 2 didn't...a small tidbit may explain why.

The Jaguar 1's HOT missile-system was fully automatic, with a gas-proof magazine drum containing eight missiles, with 12 more missiles carried inside the vehicle.

Meanwhile, the Jaguar 2 had to manually reload the TOW missile, I think. But it had I believe a thermal sight built into the TOW launcher; which could be dismounted and fired away from the vehicle. So basically Jaguar 2 was an armored tracked TOW-Humvee.

Jaguar 1A3 added a second generation TI sight; giving the Bundeswehr a fully under armor NBC protected ATGM system with genuine night fighting capability; which is why it survived and Jaguar 2 didn't.
danke schön..

I *think* German Unit 77 should be OOS 12/93 and unit 76 should be renamed Jaguar 1A3 and be in-service 1/94.... ?

also looks like the Jag 2 carried fewer missiles...12 vs 20 HOT in the Jag 1's and it also looks like the ROF could stand some scrutiny considering the HOT's are autoloaded......AND the TOW needs to be W164 instead of W158

I just love OOB work .......< heavy sarcasm.......>

Don

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....

Last edited by DRG; October 28th, 2017 at 11:13 PM..