Thread: Z Fire
View Single Post
Old January 31st, 2016, 07:11 AM

Corporal

Firestorm is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Z Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lose Cannon View Post
Thank you all for replies and explanations, it all makes perfect sense now to me
Especially the bit about some players can easily over use it in PBEM games.
As an example of this I am playing 2 games at the moment both in heavily wooded terrain. One player or other starts using Z fire without sighting the enemy, thereby giving away his positon and the other player responds knowing roughly where the enemy is now.

It is laughable but we have ended up in both these games with what I can only decribe as a Z feast of a game and it is like we are both firing at ghosts, each trying to suppress one another before we advance.

OK then I have seen some house rules on Z fire, but is there anyone here who uses them and swears by them so much so that they will improve situations like this.

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
With that situation I would have most likely just pulled out & left him to it, let him shoot at ghosts.
Look for a good place to take him on or especially if you have mobility while those units are advancing slowly & out of the the battle for a while go attack something else with your superior numbers.

If the situation permitted I might have tried flanking round behind him & plotting all spare artillery on his position. I would then just shoot the runners.

Generally I z fire with support equipment MGs etc rather than squads as it gives away so much info.
Squads may do the odd z fire in woods as back up to artillery but not much its pretty inaccurate in this situation.
Only other time I tend to z fire squads is to suppress a hex if I know the fire came from there but I cant see the unit.
Z-fire for squads is very useful when you're playing with an army filled with lots and lots of low-quality infantry (Russia, China), especially if your enemy is significantly better than you (Finland, Japan; who themselves like Z-fire as a means of breaking up the oncoming hordes). You probably won't have much mobility in a situation like that, if fact your units will be "pinned" even before their first casualties and will stay that way until the shooting's over, and the geography often makes flanking difficult, so the only option left is to bury your enemy under volley after volley of bullets.