View Single Post
Old February 3rd, 2008, 05:07 PM

Major General

Jazzepi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Why Not Digitial Distribution?

Quote:
Nikolai said:
Are you serious saying you would rather have Steam DRM'd version of Dominions III than version we have now?

Sorry, but this is nuts! From Steam, I get only games that I cannot get in a box and a CD, and then I play them only on my home desktop. I play Dominions III from two computers day to day, and two others when I move around. Can you even play Steam locked games without Internet connection?
No, I'm saying that there is no digitally distributed version of DOM 3 and that Steam would be a potential candidate as a method of distro (NOT that a digitally downloaded version should replace the CD-only hard copy distro). Personally I don't care how they do it, I was just trying to refute the argument that "making something available by digital distribution = more piracy".

Also, I really like Steam. I would never buy a game off Steam I plan to install on multiple computers, but I do not have a laptop that is strong enough to run TF2, or HL2, or Portal, nor would I want to drop the grand or two that would be required to get good FPS.

I bought Orange Box on Steam, and I'm very happy with it. It installs itself, downloads its own updates right away, and I don't have to keep track of a serial # or a DVD.

FYI, Steam does allow you to play games offline as long as they're not in the middle of upgrading.

http://support.steampowered.com/kb_a...3160-AGCB-2555

Jazzepi