View Single Post
Old August 9th, 2020, 08:28 PM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,237 Times in 925 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: Apache helicopter countermeasure

Andy I do believe you are correct. I seem to remember working an APACHE LONGBOW (AH-64D) behind enemy lines on a scouting and interdiction op. It had taken some light ground fire that was starting to suppress the crew, so I figured that while I still had "control" of it I'd find a safe place to set it down.

I took a couple of turns to bring the "morale" up on the crew which worked. I remember that after being on the ground for 3 to 4 turns, it'd be ready to lift off again with enough ammo left to extract it via "terrain masking" back to my lines and resupply on my next turn.

Well the AI had other ideas, on it's intervening turn when from across the clearing comes an ATGW, as they say "So much for the plans of Mice and Men". Obviously an ATGW Team moving forward to join the main battle just happened upon the clearing with this beautiful target just sitting there.

CHANCE don't we talk about that a lot out here?

I really believe and act upon that belief, when you're operating with more than a couple of troop carrying helos, you should (I do.) seriously give thought to getting yourself at least one or better a pair of Armed Scout or AH helos to lead the way and find a path through. Also once you land your assault troops they have some added "organic" fire support for as long as they can stay on station.

I've harped on this for many many years now, but, all those assets will be wasted if the player cannot be patient enough to "terrain mask" those helos for as long as possible until they arrive at the "LZ" to start your mission.

Nothing is achieved easily without you being willing to work hard in achieving your goal. Terrain masking can be hard work, it's time consuming and it requires you to "remember where you've been to get where you want to go", if you follow my meaning here.

But that's RL/RW tactics that have proven their worth over decades of combat helicopter operations.

Alright might get some tank news in or I just might sit on my donkey and enjoy the my weekend, only time will tell.

Artillery on the backside of a hill against helos, really, I might have to target one I know is lurking there, who knows I might even hit something of value if CHANCE allows like the AI HQ group!!

Good Night!!

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; August 9th, 2020 at 11:25 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post: