Old November 28th, 2018, 04:34 PM

Corporal

Felix Nephthys is on a distinguished road
Default Re: In Contact determination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetLT View Post
I guess the next logical question is if it is better for your B0 to be a forward observer or if B0 should be a combat unit,

Does it make a difference what formation the Forward observer is attached too or is it his arty skill level that determines how quickly he can call in fire?

Also, is there any benefit to having more that one HQ type unit?

Scorpio: I love "Hide with pride"
1 HQ unit keep him out of the way at the back on rough or similar, possibly with a decent LOS. Watch a flank from a distance to protect your arty park is my ideal location.

2 Order you buy company/units makes no difference HQ is never replaced.
FOOs as second unit or last makes finding them easy.

3 If really want could avoid buying Company's with a weak second unit like a MG mortar rather than a squad. As I understand it these get promoted if company commander dies.

4 Some people seem to go in depth with this but in fact its quite simple.

To maintain good morale and rally status the order for keeping units out of trouble and unsuppressed is straightforward.
1) HQ - rally any unit
2) Company Commander - rally any unit in company.
3) Squad / section leader - rally any unit in that squad/ section.
4) Every body else just rally themselves so they are the ones that should take most of the fire as there are 3 people above them that can help rally them.
1+2 should stay out of trouble and 3 should do its best to do so.
I hate to say it, but the A0 unit can only rally some units on the map, not all (unless you are not using any companies, in which case then I would agree that the A0 could then rally any unit on the map). The way I understand it is that any given unit will not receive more than 3 opportunities to rally in the command chain provided all the command units are within 5 hexes of the unit to be rallied. So with the command structure below...

A0

B0 (company commander)
B1
B2
B3

C0 (platoon leader under the command of B0)
C1
C2
C3

D0 (platoon leader independent of B0 and directly under command of A0)
D1
D2
D3

then if B3 was to be rallied it could be rallied by itself, B0, or A0. However, if C3 was to be rallied then it would be rallied by itself, C0, or B0, but not the A0 unit. Also, if D3 was to be rallied then it would be rallied by itself, D0, or A0 since it falls directly under the A0's command.