View Single Post
Old November 23rd, 2009, 01:07 PM

Captain

Cross is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Terrain Protection

Sand Dunes

Soft sand is also called 'sand dunes' in the game guide, not ‘quick sand’ - and the fact that this terrain can easily immobilize vehicles - doesn't suggest low undulating/rolling changes in the surface but higher mounds of sand.

I've been in a lot of sand dunes, and they offer superb defensive possibilities. They may be horrible for wheeled vehicles, but they absorb bombs, shells and bullets. Sand dunes are one of the reasons so many of the BEF were safely evacuated from Dunkirk.

There is no doubt that 'soft sand' can easily immobilise vehicles, and the Game Guide says 'volcanic sand' is similar to 'soft sand'.

I assume volcanic sand can represent the dunes found on some pacific islands. But volcanic sand is also described in the game guide as being like a light scree with rocks, small stones and grit.

Don’t forget this game ‘models’ at least two other types of sand terrain: there’s ‘sand’ which is flat or beach terrain offering ‘very poor’ protection; and there’s sand colored ‘clear’ terrain, often used in the desert, which gives ‘poor’ protection...I think?

Underlying Terrain

The game guide does tell us that bridges and rail track negate underlying terrain, but I’ve not seen info on roads.

I would imagine that if you have troops running down a paved road, that crosses a field, and they start to get shelled, they would be better off if they got off the road. But it's possible the game considers them able to take cover at the side of the road?

Some terrain can be cumulative, for example: trees on top of a crop field etc. but not sure what other features can enhance underlying terrain?

The game guide is rather sketchy and vague on terrain protection. Which was why I hoping to get some feedback. One could set up a number of tests, but with there’s a lot of different types of terrain…

Perhaps I just need to pay more attention to casualties in relation to terrain as I play.

Cross