View Single Post
Old September 13th, 2010, 10:51 AM

Corporal

ExplorerBob is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Theory of Combat (WIP; not at *all* pretty to read)

Lost in Space,
Thanks for your time and your reply!

The problem is that the Weird Worlds combat engine is somewhat limited -- or at least, it's not as advanced as the engines in some comparable games (like Star Control, which WW is partially inspired by).

This is really because WW was built around a TBS engine, instead of a space-shooter engine -- the developers said that they intended to make a space strategy game, at one point, and converted it into the game we know as SAIS. Weird Worlds follows in the same mold.

Thus the combat is slower, more contemplative, and curiously less open to tactical considerations as a result of this -- which technically does fit the mold of some of the earlier strategy games, like both of the Master of Orions. I know that while I love MoO2 tactical combat, it isn't really as tactical as it looks. If Weird Worlds was based on a more action-based combat system, like Star Control or practically any other space game you want to name, it could be more intriguing.

The one case where this really varies is with fighters, which are fast, maneuverable, and require some extra skill to control. One of my favorite techniques is to take personal command over a fighter, give the capital ships (including my flagship) basic orders, and then take the fighter over to the enemy and start wreaking havoc. Unfortunately, the AI is inept at handling fighters, which means that even one human-controlled fighter can be worth far more than what it ought to be. The Zorg fighter in particular is magic, since it can teleport to a convenient enemy weak spot, and then out of danger when they react to it.

I've made some basic changes to the weapons in Odd Adventures -- the chaingun, for instance, now does only 40 damage a shot, making it do 1,600 damage in 600 ticks. This means that it is no longer a great weapon -- instead, you want to get rid of it as soon as it's convenient to replace it (like every other thing you start with). There are some other changes I need to make as a result of this change, though, like changing the neptunium railgun, which is now (although still weak) overpowered in comparison to the starter tech.

As far as your specific ideas, some of them have already been implemented by more skilled and practiced designers, like sqqwonkian, in his Drives 'R Us mod, which is probably still the greatest mod currently going.

Some of them may also not be possible, at least not in Weird Worlds, for unfortunate reasons. I'll try to cover all your suggestions here, to the best of my knowledge.

Quote:
• missile that explodes into projectiles (shards) before contact
As far as I know, this should be entirely doable, just like the Multi-Missile Launcher. It would create an effect somewhat reminiscent of the Chenjesu Broodhome's main gun.

I'm not sure whether any weapon in Drives 'R Us currently launches unguided projectiles.

Quote:
• missile that attracts or repels others projectiles & mines
Sadly, I'm not sure that this is possible in the current Weird Worlds engine, but an anti-missile missile should be entirely possible.

Quote:
• randomized level of reliability
By reliability, it depends on whether you're referring to things like damage/refire rates, or weapon accuracy.

Weapon accuracy can be affected by computers, as you know, if the weapon is a beam. Unfortunately, I'm not sure as to any other more-or-less random effects that affect weapons. WW is a very deterministic game, after a point, which can be to its disadvantage.

Quote:
• a wide & long range beam that takes an insane amount of time to recharge
I'm not sure that the beam is wide (in fact, I'm sure it probably isn't; I don't know whether you can have beams above a certain width, to be honest), but the Higgs Ray in Drives 'R Us does terrific damage, and requires an insane or possibly indefinite recharge time, although it doesn't have an especially long range.

Quote:
• remote controlled missile (or small fighters)
The small fighter thing is what you're gonna want here -- and it is, thankfully, entirely doable in the engine!

Quote:
• status imparing beam or missile (speed, regen)
Like poison, in some other games? Unfortunately, this is not possible in the strict sense; you could *appear* to do it in some cases by making a weapon that fires shots that do damage at the same rate as the shield regenerates, but that would mean extra damage after the shield falls, and it would be obvious when enemies with a slower-regenerating shield take extra damage.

Quote:
• missile-destroying beam (otherwise useless)
Entirely possible, and remarkably effective. (In fact, maybe a little *too* effective -- the instant hit thing is really extremely useful in this role.)

Quote:
• cloak detecting beam (scanner)
Well, I don't think this can be made per se (in that it instantly begins to perform its role, like other weapons), but you can combine other things you have to make it work.

If you fire in any direction, with a constant beam (like the strange quark projector), you can cover all the possible areas that the cloaked ship is in, hit it, and then wipe it out. I've become quite good at doing this, myself.

Quote:
• distance evaluation beam
Entirely possible; Drives 'R Us has two of them; a range-finder (mounted on your ship) and an externally-mounted one that is of somewhat less use.

Quote:
• stun gun
Sadly, I don't think this is quite possible. As far as I know, every weapon in the game will kill its target upon firing -- although for enemies without repair systems, it really amounts to the same thing as disabling them, anyway.

The best sources that I can think of for learning about how the weapons work, aside from the weapon files themselves, are the file that comes with the game (called something like _item_files.txt), and the Weapon Parameters post. As you can see, this system does give you a bit of leeway, but it isn't quite infinite or unlimited yet, unfortunately.

Still, I'm confident we haven't exhausted what this game has to offer just yet...which is a good thing, since it seems doubtful there'll be another one, at least for another year or three.

If you have any questions, about the game, Odd Adventures, or Odd Adventures development, feel free to ask. Suggestions are certainly welcome.

- Bob