View Single Post
Old July 8th, 2005, 05:51 AM

Colonel

Pyros is on a distinguished road
Default About Tactics when assaulting prepared positions

Hi,

I thought it would be great if everyone could contribute a small piece of his knowledge (tactics in WinSPMBT) in order to help the less experienced players.

So, I will post a couple of quotes concerning important Maxims of this game.

Napoleon's Military Maxim #16

Quote:

A well-established maxim of war is not to do anything which your enemy wishes and for the single reason that he does so wish. You should, therefore, avoid a field of battle which he has reconnoitered and studied. You should be still more careful to avoid one which he has fortified and where he has entrenched himself. A corollary of this principle is, never to attack in front a position which admits of being turned.
By Major General John Frederick Charles Fuller:
Quote:

...The principle of the Objective-the true objective being that point at which the enemy may be most decisively defeated ; generally is this point is to be found along the line of least resistance. The principle of Mass-that is, concentration of strength and effort at the decisive point. The principle of the Offensive ; the principles of Security, Surprise, and Movement (i.e. rapidly). *

From these elements I evolved four elementary principles, namely (i.) From mind, the principle of the objective.
(ii.) From protection, the principle of security.
(iii.) From weapons, the principle of the offensive.
(iv.) And from movement, the principle of mobility.

I next postulated a law, which I called "The Law of the Conservation of Military Energy," and from it extracted four accentuating principles of war, namely (i.) The principle of surprise.
(ii.) The principle of economy of force.
(iii.) The principle of concentration of force.
(iv.) And the principle of co-operation.

cheers,
Pyros