View Single Post
Old August 12th, 2007, 12:14 AM

Sergeant

sgqwonkian is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Mod: Sgqwonkian Crisis

I fiddled around with it like crazy. There had been a crash at the end of games, which getting rid of the .cfg did indeed fix.

But now there's a crash happening at universe generation. I now believe which mission is irrelevant, that it was just coincidence that it was happening with a certain mission or ship. I'm of that opinion because I broke everything down, and then slowly rebuilt it file by file, testing multiple times between each file I added.

It's clearly caused by one or more quests, as it ran without error in about 30 straight games before I started adding in my quests.

Specifically, I believe the crash is somehow linked to generating ships off the board. I have a mainquest that does that, and when I changed it to always, it crashed 4 out of 4 tries. Pulled it out of the game.ini, and ran about 6 or 7 games in a row just fine.

So I went over with a fine tooth comb. Found one typo in a graphic name that quest referenced, but fixing that typo did not solve the crash.

Zapped that and went back to only maingame's quests plus very basic amb_muk and ally_muk -derived quests. They ran fine 12 or 15 times in a row.

Put in a very simple quest, reads like this:

"FLAG always

STAR 0
FLAG protect offmap
PLNT urlu
FLET urluquai 1 attack terran
END STAR

STAR 1
FLAG protect offmap
PLNT urlu
FLET urluquai 2 attack sgqwonk
END STAR

STAR 2
FLAG protect offmap
PLNT urlu
FLET urluquai 4 attack sgqwonk
END STAR"

That ran just fine, generating 3 fleets and putting them on an attack course. So I made a second identical quest, only thing different being the name, and which fleet numbers.

Ran with both, and it crashed. So I thought "maybe you can only have one fleet generate ships off board per game".

To test that I set them to FLAG event and KEYS invasion. They ran fine 4 or 5 games, but of course I didn't always get an invasion.

So I made 6 more quests, just changing which fleet numbers were generated and which races they attacked. Those ran fine for 3 or 4 games, and then crash.

Checked all the files. Nothing wrong with them, and all are identical except the FLET lines. No other mod quests are set to anything but FLAG always, so the crash has to be from these, or it would happen all the time, right?

So I thought, maybe it's that there's a mainquest trying to generate a fleet off the map as well. So I set all my 8 invasion quests to FLAG event KEYS mainquest, figuring either events generate first, and I'd never get a mainquest, or mainquests generate first and my invasion wouldn't happen when a mainquest was going on.

Crash. Crash. Crash. Three in a row. So I guess that's not the problem, afterall. Back to the drawing board...