View Single Post
Old May 23rd, 2006, 09:07 PM

Sergeant

Charles22 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Troop Quality in preferences

This may not work across the board to show tanks that aren't driven by systems and experience/morale alone, but look at this:

The wimpiest German tank with a standard MG is the PZIB for 24pts (I would use the PZIA but it has a special MG). While the USSR T-18M is 19pts. The T18 not only has a little better armor, but also has an entire extra main gun and is still cheaper. The T18's gun is the 45mm and to make matters worse (in some respects) it has nothing but 60 salvo shots. That's 9pts of armor piercing ability, destroying any German tank with maximum penetration till the Tiger comes along (I think this makes the 45L66 VASTLY overrated, and if this tank had standard AP it would still register better penetration than any German tank gun until the 75L43 comes along). On the down side the MG is a BMG instead of the PZIB's CMG (so limited range), but it's still VERY cheap. This is a considerably better weapon system than the PZIB, and it being 5pts cheaper isn't in the same ballpark with only a 20pt experience loss in my books.

I think I've seen things like the standard USSR equivalent for the SK221 as cheap as like 7pts!

Unfortunately dwelling on these cheaper AFV's diminishes my point somewhat, in that I think having armor that for the period that is invincible to other AFV fire isn't priced as the invaluable asset it is (talking the early T34's and KV's most particularly - but as I said, you need multitudes of the same tank to make the price entirely consistent throughout it's lifespan of purchasing, which just cannot be done). I know many Gerry AFV's, for example, have in many cases better optics and what not that I'm not considering just now, but it is true that most of the USSR stuff is super-cheap and doesn't seem to reflect it being based on values of the weapons systems, armor, optics, and experience/morale alone.

In any event, though serg3d doesn't like it, if in picking the USSR ourselves, we can negate the cheap advantage somewhat by just buying things we refuse to use, wecan offset the advantage. Seems to me that beats re-writing the prices of everything, though it is a bit strange. That's the way it will be if "I" am the one that does something about it in my games (have to find easy compromises you know). Unfortunately that doesn't keep the AI from getting super-cheap USSR assets.